Best Fall and Winter Weed Pre-Emergent Herbicides
Fall is a critical period when it comes to weed control. Dealing with both annual and perennial weeds that sprout in the winter is quite a job, and one that’s best done in the autumn.
This article explores helpful growing tips to avoid susceptibility to weeds, as well as some recommendations for choosing the best pre-emergent and post-emergent herbicides.
Preventing Winter Weeds
Cooler temperatures trigger the germination of winter annual weeds like Annual Bluegrass, Chickweed, Mallow, and many others. To prevent infestations and maintain healthy turf throughout the fall and winter, it’s important to apply pre-emergent herbicide in specific time frames because fertilization times varies throughout the year.
What you should know about annual bluegrass:
- Light green grassy weed with unsightly seedhead. Grows well in moist, compacted soil.
- Germinates in late summer or early fall, as soil temperatures fall below 70 degrees.
- A strong seed producer – each plant can produce 100 seeds in as few as 8 weeks.
The best method of control of the new infestations is by applying a pre-emergent herbicide before weeds germinate in mid-August to mid-September.
Pre-emergent herbicide applied in the spring will not control annual bluegrass or other winter annual weeds. It will be too late!
Perennial weeds, like thistle?
Perennial weeds are those that come back each year from existing roots. Fall is a good time to apply a post-emergent herbicide, because the chemical will be carried down to the root for a complete kill.
Suggested Herbicides for Fall / Winter
The Best Pre-Emergent Herbicides:
- Oxadiazon is a great granular option – safe in all turf and ornamentals.
- Prodiamine is the longest-lasting, as well as most economical due to lowest application rates.
The Best Post-Emergent Herbicides:
- Celsius Herbicide – Best for Warm-Season Grass Only (St. Augustine, Bermuda, Centipede, Zoysia)
- Speedzone Southern Broadleaf – Excellent control of Broadleaf weeds, safe in turfgrass.
If you’re ready to prepare your lawn for winter, call TLC Landscapes for a custom quote. TLC serves the Frisco, Texas area, as well as north Dallas areas. For the best Frisco lawn maintenance, give us a call or get a custom quote now.
Published on October 22nd, 2017
Updated on February 4th, 2020
I’ve been researching and sharing lawn care and gardening info since 2010. I’m no expert, but my neighbors think I am