Installing Outdoor Christmas Light Sets In Dallas
December is the time of the year we see all the houses in our neighborhoods decorated with Christmas lights and ornaments. Some houses have simple lighting sets, while other houses are decadent and quite lavish. So where do you get outdoor Christmas light sets in Dallas?
Buying Christmas Lights
- Specialized Decoration Stores – Specialty Stores such as Decorators warehouse and Holiday Warehouse have a huge selections of Christmas lights and decorations.
- Big Box Retail Stores – Store like Home Depot, Walmart, Target and Lowes offer a large variety of lights for both indoors and outdoor. From string lights to projection lights.
- Online Retail Stores – A specialized online store dedicated to all things lights and light bulb related.
- Christmas Light Installers – You can buy from us in North Texas. TLC Landscapes offers commercial grade LED lights with installation and removal.
About Xmas Light Bulbs
Christmas light bulbs have style trends. Mini lights have been the most popular during the past decade, however larger, more “traditional” bulbs are making a comeback. All styles are available as incandescent and LEDs. Learn more about about the types of bulbs below.
Mini lights ( C ) look like tiny candles with pointed tips. They are about 1/4 inch in diameter and 5/8 inch tall.
- C6 bulbs are smallish strawberry-shaped lights that are often thought of as the traditional Christmas tree light. Bulbs are 3/4 inch in diameter and 1 1/8 inches tall.
- C7 bulbs have a similar shape as C6s but are slightly larger and rounder. They are 1 inch in diameter and 1-1/2 inches tall.
- C9 bulbs are the big brothers of the holiday bulb family, measuring 1-1/4 inches in diameter and 2 1/2 inches tall. They are frequently used in outdoor applications.
Rope lights are strings of mini lights encased in flexible plastic, and rope lights are great for wrapping posts and making garlands of colored light.
Outside Christmas Lighting
Select lighting clips based on the size of the bulbs in your lighting strings, as well as to what building part you’ll attach the strings. Clips hold the light sockets, so you can position the bulbs upright, hanging down or horizontally. A pack of 50 all-purpose clips is about $6.
String your tree in the evening, with your light strings plugged in so you can see the effect as your build your light scheme.
- Evergreen trees look good with bigger bulb sizes, such as the C7 and C9. The industry rule of thumb is 100 lights per every vertical foot of tree; large trees may need more.
- A good scale when viewed from the street Larger C7 and C9 bulbs are usually spaced 12 inches apart.
- Evergreen bushes should use lighting nets. Crisscrossed networks of wires and mini lights that are shaped as a grid. Use a couple of 100-light nets over your bushes and your yard will shine with these easy to install nets.
- Deciduous trees and posts are tempting targets for candy cane spirals of light. Get lights that are closely spaced, such as mini lights or rope lights. The bark is usually rough enough to hold light strings in place. You can give light strings a little support with strategically placed pushpins.
Set Your Lights To Music
Want to see your whole outdoor lighting display set to music? Music synchronization kits turn your front yard into a Christmas disco.
- A standard 30-amp plug-and-play system divides your display into 16 separate channels for $800 to $1,000, including weatherproof speakers. Pre-synched music is about $30 per song, featuring everything from “Jingle Bells” to “Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree.”
- Simpler six-channel sets can be had for $150, but you’ll get only one small speaker and 10 pre-loaded songs.
- More sophisticated displays run up to 64 channels and include software so you can program your own show and run it off your laptop.
- Animated Cartoon Characters – Animated wire frames add a bit of cartoon-like fun to your lawn. The animation can be crude, but these are fun for young kids. Plus, they’re big. Some are 6 feet tall and 10 feet wide.
Christmas Light Projectors
The hottest trend in decorations is these LED Projectors. Outdoor Christmas projection lights are easier to set up than string Christmas lights that you have to place one at a time.
For those who want to simplify the process of shopping for outdoor Christmas lights to their home can always call TLC Landscapes for the easiest way to get Christmas lights installed.
I’ve been researching and sharing lawn care and gardening info since 2010. I’m no expert, but my neighbors think I am