Poisonous Plants For Humans and Animals

  • Poisonous Plants For Humans
  • Poisonous Plants For Humans
  • Poisonous Plants For Humans
    Water Hemlock
  • Poisonous Plants For Humans
  • Poisonous Plants For Humans
  • Poisonous Plants For Humans
    Castor oil slide
  • Poisonous Plants For Humans
  • Poisonous Plants For Humans
  • Poisonous Plants For Humans
    Daffodil slide

Even a beautiful flower can harm you.  This is not just a figure of speech, but a literal one as well. Plants add color, beauty, and life to our gardens and homes, however sometimes should be grown with a little extra caution. Many common plants are also poisonous plants. Whether its summer annuals or shade tolerant perennials, there could be a poisonous plant in your garden now. If you have children and pets who like to chew or play with plants, thus you want to avoid a few varieties. There is large amount of harmful plants known to man and some of plants can cause skin irritations, stomach upsets, or even be fatal is too much is ingested.

Identifying Which Plants are Poisonous

Poisonous Plants For HumansUse caution and when growing and displaying these poisonous plants for humans and animals in your home.

  1. Mistletoe – Whether this parasitic plant can cause death has been debated, but it does cause digestive problems, slowed heartbeat and hallucinogenic effects in humans.
  2. Philodendron – The sap from these trendy houseplants can irritate your skin and mouth, resulting in throat swelling, breathing difficulties, burning pain, and stomach upset. Severe reactions are rare, however it is recommended to keep philodendrons away from kids and pets.
  3. Water Hemlock – These small white flowers might appear in your garden as weeds, and if you have curious pets, you should remove them. White hemlock’s toxin (which smells like carrot) attacks the nervous system, and can cause serious harm to animals and humans.
  4. Rhododendron and Azalea – These beautiful blooms look picture-perfect peeking out over a white picket fence, but the entire plant is highly toxic. Ingesting a flower, stem, or leaf could lead to abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, paralysis, coma, and even death.
  5. Oleander – Eating only a small part of this plant can be fatal. In one case, just one leaf was enough to harm a child. Symptoms of poisoning include drowsiness, slowed heart rate, and shaking.
  6. Castor Oil Plant – Castor oil plays a part in many home remedies, but the plant itself is more likely to kill you than cure you. The seeds contain one of the most poisonous naturally occurring substances known to man, known as the toxic protein ricin can cause severe dehydration from vomiting and diarrhea.
  7. Foxglove – These bell-shaped blooms and their berries entice kids, but contain a compound used for treating heart failure. Eating them is like “taking an unregulated dose of heart medicine,” according to
  8. Hydrangea – These popular blossoms contain a toxin, cyanide. How ever to be harmful pets and humans need to ingest quite a bit of these flowers for the effects to be fatal.
  9. Daffodils – The bulbs are the most poisonous part of these so-called friendly flowers. Keep away from pets who likes to dig. Ingesting too much could cause vomiting, diarrhea, convulsions, tremors, and cardiac arrhythmia.

Click on the link to see a complete list of poisonous plants in your area.

Reacting to Poisonous Garden Plants

Some plants are more toxic than others and the good news is that most must be consumed in large quantities to cause any real damage. More often the bitter taste repels a child or pet and stops them from ingesting too much of the plant.  If you suspect that a child or pet has been poisoned by eating or touching a houseplant, call your doctor, veterinarian or go to an emergency room. Another option is to call the 24-hour National Capital Poison Center at 800-222-1222.


Comments ( 2 )

  1. ReplyJasmine Hewitt
    Oh wow, I didn't know about a couple of these flowers being poisonous! This is so helpful!
  2. ReplyKat Mc cabe
    I didn't know daffodils were poisonous! I will keep an eye on my dogs in the spring when they are blooming. Very helpful article!

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published.